By Wicker Van Orsdel
Summer has ended, and the excitement of fall is in the air. The leaves are turning those wonderful Midwest colors, the kids are in their school year routines (yeah!), and there’s leaf raking, after-school sports activities, tailgates and football games. Still, I decided to take look at the top 10 things I loved about the broiler furnace that was summer in Des Moines.
- Not having to attend the royal wedding, but having our own wedding in the back yard….(check out Jasmine and Max’s wedding photo in the August/September/October issue of dsm).
- Sleeveless patio dining at Centro, Dos Rios, Star Bar, Gusto’s and Alba.
- Having a taco from Jose’s at the Des Moines Arts Festival and buying an unnecessary Fobot-robot made out of many weird items. It is ART!
- Riding the Boone to Altoona leg of RAGBRAI on roads that were hotter than the soles Dante’s loafers (I’m talking INFERNO).
- Testing positive for corn dogs at the Iowa State Fair (AKA: “Rocketship to Planet Diabetes”).
- Singing along with the Doobie Brothers at the Fair “Doot doot doot doot doot doot doo-doot…doo doo doot…doo doo doot.”
- Learning two things about Josh Groban at his Wells Fargo Arena concert : He loves the Iowa Fair’s fried butter on a stick and he plays the drums!
- Tomatoes and fresh basil, and endless Iowa sweet corn!
- The National Balloon Classic in Indianola…so colorful a rainbow would blush.
- Having the grandkids at the lake for a wonderful long visit…then having the grandkids go home.
So get ready everybody…..Here come the HOLIZAZE!